I'm still working to improve my Kaggle sci kit learn score. As I've said in a previous post, I think I need to use an ensemble method. The question is, what method?
I tried a decision tree adaboost, but it doesn't improve on the test error given by the SVM model.
I decided to try fitting many different models and combining them in some way. I used the sonar data for this since it is a much more manageable size than the kaggle competition data.
The first thing I decided to try was a straight linear combination. First, I ran all of the different models (svm, decision tree, knn, logitistic regression and naive bayes). I generated the predicted y values for each of these models and added them together. This is not an easy thing to do in R. Remember I said in a previous post that R recognizes categorical variables? Unfortunately, once R has decided that a variable is categorical, it refuses to do math on it. It doesn't "make sense". You have to change the factor back to a numeric value. This is not at all intuitive and can actually give you unexpected results. For example, when I tried to change one of the predicted vectors back to numeric, I got 0. Plain old vanilla constant 0.
Here is the code that gave me consistent results. Assume that your predicted response is in the vector y_pred. Then
numeric_y_pred <- as.numeric(as.character(y_pred))
gives you a vector that you can add.
But a linear combination of these models gave me a test error of 14.1%. This is better than most of the models, but not as good as the SVM.
So I decided to use the error to weight the vectors. I used the same formula as in the adaboost code:
alpha <- .5*log((1-error)/error). I multiplied each predicted vector by it's respective alpha value. When I did this, I got a test error of 9%. Eureka, I thought.
However, this did not translate to the kaggle data. The tuned SVM in R had a test error of 13.3% but the ensemble had a test error of 14%.
Speaking of the tuned SVM model, I had a very difficult time with this. Every time I tried to run it, I got an error. I finally tweaked the code and got it to run. The code that I used is not the same as the code in the R help. I don't know if the package was updated and the help was not. Here is the code that worked for me:
fit7 <- tune.svm(x,y,gamma=10^(-3:-1),cost=10^(1:5))
I submitted the tuned SVM model from R to the kaggle competition and it did not perform as well as the tuned SVM from Python.
Back to the digital drawing board.
Friday, July 12, 2013
In order to write an adaboost code for a model, you need to be able to fit the model using sample weights and to generate the probability distribution of the outcomes. As far as I know, R doesn't have a SVM model that does this, but sci kit learn does.
Unfortunately, I was not able to make it work.
I used the sonar data from David Mease's class. First, I preprocessed the x training data so the mean and standard deviation are 0 and 1 respectively. Then I used the API to scale the test data. When I ran the SVM without sample weights, the training error was 0 and the test error was 10.3%. Then I constructed a weight vector so that the weights are all 1/N. N in this case is 130.
When I fitted the data with the sample weights, the training error and test error were both awful. The training error was 49.3% and the test error was 42.3%. The test error was less than the training error. Clearly something is not right here. Someone from the sci kit learn list serv suggests that I scale C by the length of the training data, but that didn't make any difference.
So this is not a useable option right now. If I find out what is going wrong, I'll update the blog.
The code for this post can be found on github at Link.